Thursday, June 6, 2019

windows

In order to realize my dreams of matching the watercolor below,
 
 
 
I have realized that buying a customized gang of windows(five no less), I will need a much larger budget.  Also, by the time I cut into my 12 foot wide wall, there is not going to be much left to support my roof.  So, I looked at my options at Home Depot.  The American Craftsman line that they carry will do fine for me.  The white is just what I want, so I do not see how I can make a better choice in this situation.  They have horizontal glider windows that come in a number of sizes.  I looked the sample over in the store, and I fell for that size.  They are available at 36 wide by 48 high.  Two of them with a couple of 2x6s between will give me some of this effect.  If I become desperate, I can add a stationary single window in the center.  Not quite the same, but I can live with that.
The rough opening on these is half an inch additional, vertical and horizontal. and at 170 dollars, I can squeeze that out of the budget. 680 for all is not bad.  So, both south facing rooms on the first floor can have a set of these windows.
Ideally I might get custom casement windows ganged in the pattern in the picture...but I just don't see that happening.
 
I love stained glass.  It amazes me how much new windows cost for a little extruded PVC and glass. I can, however get antique stained glass panels from churches or homes and build a frame for the house to hinge mount the stained glass for half of the cost of a window, new, and when I am done, I have a work of art to look at in my house.
 
 
Both Bill and I wanted this window, but in the end it went for too much money.  At the time $200 seemed like too much...then I found out how much a new window costs.

Just one last comment.  Always use standard sized windows.  You are building from scratch.  You can choose anything.  If you were retrofitting, you would have to follow the old openings but you can use the less expensive standard sizes that are very likely already in the store and ready for pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment