Monday, June 3, 2013

Blithewold

I visited this restored museum mansion in Bristol, Rhode Island today.   Of course, very little about this house would be appropriate for use in a tiny house, but there were a couple of things that made me think about possibilities for a cute house.  I include some of the photos of the house here.  I was especially interested in the grounds, and found a single 17th century Delft plate that is identical to one I own.  I bought mine in Amsterdam a few years ago and paid it off over time.  Although there were very few of that time period there, they had a number of others there.  I have the one 17th century and a couple of others that are more modern.
Blithwold is a wonderful place for a day out, a perfect place for a picnic, and ideal for a wedding or other function.  The docents were just wonderful to us.  Well worth the rather modest admission charge.  The temperature was a good ten degrees lower than at home in Mansfield, and the wind off the water was a God-send. 

http://www.blithewold.org/  I understand that the Christmas displays are fascinating, and that they offer Opera in full production as well as recital format.
Please mention to them that you saw this post in my blog if you go there.

 
The mansion from the seaside lawn.
 
 

 
A Breton box bed.  Possibly rebuilt, though it would not surprise me if it was the correct size given the smaller size of the people in that time period.  The shelves were added.  Also posted elsewhere in the blog.

 
 
A stone roundabout bench in the water garden.

 
The bridge in the water garden.
 
 
Part of the rock garden.
 

 
The ticket booth and gift shop, front and back.  What a nice design for a little house.  Very elegant and cheap to build.  I particularly like the setting in a little garden.  John especially liked the view below.  I think it was the poppies that drew him in.
 
 
 
 

 
Would this be a beautiful interior for a tiny cottage, or what?  The lattice is real and quite heavy.  Imagine this interior in the little cottage in the photos just above!!!  They are just about the same size.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment